This is what 6 pounds of apples looks like.
The first time I made homemade applesauce, it was a revelation to me. It was so easy to make and it was so sweet without any added sugar.
This is my go-to applesauce recipe:
- 6 pounds apples (about 18 apples)
- 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
- A pinch of nutmeg or allspice (optional)
- 3 cups water
- 2-5 slices of lemons
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Peel and core the apples. Cut the apples into 1″ chunks.
- Cut a lemon into 1/4 inch slices.
- Place all ingredients into a large pot. Turn heat on high and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low, stirring frequently. Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until apples are soft.
- Remove the lemon slices and process the apples using an immersion blender or potato masher.
I do a rough peel of the apples because I like a little of the skin in the final product.
Chop the apples into 1 or 1/2 inch pieces.
I added all of these lemons to the mixture at the beginning and it imparted a slightly tart taste to the applesauce.
The finished product is both naturally sweet and a little tart because of the lemons. There is no sugar added to this recipe, but if you like it sweet, add some brown sugar and use less lemon.
And now for the cake!
This is a very simple 100% whole wheat applesauce cake that can be made in a pinch if you are having company and want to look like you got it all under control. It’s from Sharon Carnevale’s recipe page on Food.com.
Easy Vegan Applesauce Cake
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3/4 cup sugar (I can get away with 1/2 cup and it’s still sweet)
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix oil and sugar; then add applesauce. Mix well.
- Combine dry ingredients and then add it to the applesauce mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Pour into a greased and floured 8″ x 8″ baking dish.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Use icing if desired or just add the homemade applesauce on top with a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar.
The finished cake is moist and sweet but not too sweet. I topped it with the homemade applesauce and it was even better. If serving to a friend who comes over for coffee, it could be topped with a sweet cream cheese frosting.